The weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve are the busiest and often most stressful time of the entire year. It is tempting to put off scheduling a new appointment or to miss a planned doctor’s visit due to family activities or winter weather. This can be doubly damaging because our immune system can be weakened by stress, compromising our ability to heal, and any delay in treatment can increase the amount of time it takes to recover.
When it comes to non-healing wounds, this is especially true. Healogics research shows that patients who are seen weekly throughout the entire course of treatment have the highest healing rates. Timely detection and treatment of any wound can prevent amputation and improve quality of life.
To help protect your health this holiday season, we recommend:
- Plan Ahead - Write down your healthcare appointments and schedule activities like visiting, shopping or baking on other days
- Be Realistic - Understand that 2020 is a year when many traditions will not take place; find new ways to safely share joy
- Practice Relaxation - Deep breathing, holiday music and simple hobbies can all reduce your levels of stress
- Reach Out to Friends - Phone and video calls can replace face-to-face visits but nothing can replace the support of your loved ones
- Eat Well - Have a healthy snack before holiday meals so you do not overindulge
- Keep Appointments - It is the most important thing you can do to improve your healing rate
You can request an appointment here: https://www.healogics.com/appointment-request/.
Healogics provides world class wound care at more than 600 Wound Care Centers® nationwide. Over the past 20 years, we have helped to heal more than four million wounds. We have partnerships with academic and research-based scientists to consult and analyze, driving collaboration to provide better outcomes for our patients.